Preventive measures, monitoring and remediation capabilities are at the heart of a Dark Web defense
The dark web is a term for the places on the internet where mostly illegal activities occur like botnets, black markets, fraud services, phishing, child porn, terrorism, etc. Although the Dark Web sits on the internet, it is a segregated, anonymous and protected part, and typically, you need to use special software and access methods to enter.
I often think of it as the dark alley of the Internet.
Trading and Selling Compromised Information and Methods
The one Dark Web activity that most directly affects most normal people and companies is the trade and sale of compromised information and methods. In layman’s terms, the Dark Web is the place where stolen passwords, credit card numbers, and personal information is traded. Additionally, it is a communication channel that allows bad guys to coordinate attacks into individual systems while also giving training on how to exploit new vulnerabilities. The Dark Web is where stolen information is captured and made ready for nefarious uses, and if your credit card information has been stolen, it’s the pace where crooks can find it.
These are the monsters under the bed.
How Can Your Company Protect Itself from the Dark Web?
Daily, tens of millions of dollars of Illegal transactions occur on the Dark Web, and it’s often a result of companies who are ill equipped and ill prepared to protect their digital assets. Once those assets are left unprotected, unguarded, or made vulnerable for lack of a few simple protective measures, you’ve exposed your customer and prospect information for exploitation. Further, you’ve damaged your reputation and can even face severe financial consequences.
While putting a protective shield and remediation system in place is warranted, you’ll want to make sure that at a minimum, your cyber-defense includes the following features and capabilities:
- Monitor all traffic and data going in and out of your network to see in real-time if there is an attack going on, so it can be stopped it in its tracks
- Conduct a daily scan of the Dark Web, so you have a catalogue showing data that was stolen in the past, and if any new information was compromised currently so you can act immediately and with certainty
- Conduct vulnerability scanning and overall security assessments backed by remediation capabilities to shore up your security maturity so that any future attacks or compromises are significantly reduced.
- Secure the technical capabilities for identifying if your company’s data was exfiltrated and being exploited and used by bad guys
- Deploy a Dark Web Scanning service that actively scans the dark web for your corporate domain name and personal email addresses that also provides a daily report for your entire organization
- Hire an “undercover agent” to go into the Dark Web so that you never need to step foot in that dark alley.
Get Rid of the Monsters Under Your Bed: Connect with DataSure24
At DataSure24, we can identify with 100% certainty if your company’s information was exfiltrated, used by the bad guys, or is actively available on the Dark Web. We can tell you that, yes, indeed your information was taken in the past.
We go into the Dark Web as an undercover agent so that you never need to step foot in that dark alley. We provide daily scans of the Dark Web, so that you not only know the past that shows data that was stolen many years ago, but you will also know the very next day if any new information was compromised. This gives you the ability to act on things immediately and with certainty – helping clear out the monsters under the bed.